Re: XMMS: Can't set konqueror file associations

Hi,

> When I try to set konq. to use xmms for mp3 files, it claims to update
> the system configuration but then immediately forgets.

I'm getting a very similar thing trying to change text file associations
to NEdit.  I also can't set NEdit to open without launch feedback.  It
seems the problem is that the .desktop file is
/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/menu-xdg/nedit.desktop
and I don't have permissions, obviously, to change that.  I don't know
how KDE normally does this - it just seems to work fine.

More experimenting: If I change the association to an app that already
was in the list, and whose .desktop file is in
/usr/share/applications/kde, then it remembers it fine.  (With NEdit, I
had to add NEdit to the list of possible apps first)

If I try to change properties for any of the other apps (e.g. kate,
kwrite), even the ones that had been in /usr/share/applications/kde,
Konq immediately forgets the association and removes the item from the
list of possible apps.  If I use 'Add...' to add them again, KDE creates
a file ~/.kde/share/applnk/.hidden/, based on the one in
/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/menu-xdg/ (definitely not the one in
/usr/share/applications/kde)  and it is least usable from them on - it
remembers it, and I can change settings.

This doesn't work with nedit, because it's  .desktop file is in a
different location, I presume.

My only solution is this:  when using 'Add' to add an to the list of
applications, don't use the correct name (e.g. I used Nedit instead of
nedit).  This will create a new file in ~/.kde/share/applnk/.hidden/,
which you can then correct as needed.

I've no idea if this is KDE or Debian bug, or what (don't know how this
is supposed to work).

Luke

--
"Smoking cures weight problems...eventually..." (Steven Wright)

Luke Plant || L.Plant.98 (at) cantab.net || http://lukeplant.me.uk