Re: Problem with sound in KDE

On October 6, 2004 02:33 am, Silvan wrote:
> On Monday 04 October 2004 05:33 pm, Mateusz wrote:
>
> Does aRts actually start?  Much of the time it can't start because
> something else has already grabbed the port and doesn't want to share.

In my case, Arts always started.  It just needed a little help in the
configuration department to actually play for non-root users.

> Is it really worth it?  The first thing I do after a KDE installation is
> disable arts forever.  I never look back.  It's only needed for sound in a
> smattering of KDE applications

I wouldn't have thought it was _needed_ at all. But if you already have
problems with getting Arts to start because "something else has already
grabbed the port and doesn't want to share", I'm surprised you get sound from
anything.  I would have thought it was easier to get everything using Arts.
--
derek