Re: Problem with sound in KDE

On Monday 04 October 2004 05:33 pm, Mateusz wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've a problem concerning sound in KDE(i've 3.3)(debian unstable). my sound
> is configured properly, xmms plays mp3 and any other audio format it should
> play but i've got no sound KDE sounds(i mean sounds like startup sound or
> events' sounds). Arts is set 'on' in control center with 'full duplex'.
> Please help, because I'm a linux newbie.

Does aRts actually start?  Much of the time it can't start because something
else has already grabbed the port and doesn't want to share.

Is it really worth it?  The first thing I do after a KDE installation is
disable arts forever.  I never look back.  It's only needed for sound in a
smattering of KDE applications (and KDE itself, if you're into whoops and
boops and boinks every time you swish your mouse around.)  Nothing else uses
it, and it just gets in the way all the time.  It's a lot more trouble than
it's worth to me.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/