kde sound logoff crash workaround

I posted a few weeks ago that KDE would hand the system when logging off
from a session. After doing a LOT of playing around, I discovered that
If I changed the setting:

Control Center
        > Sound System
                > Hardware
                        >Select the Audio device:

From reading Autodetect to Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA), the
system no longer hanged when logging out (I also set it to OSS, and it
too solved the problem).

Problems:
Under general, the Test Sound functions, but system sounds do not seem
to play. If I select a sound under "System Notifications"  and try to
play it under the Actions menu (using the play button), nothing is
heard. Logoff and Login sounds also appear absent.

On the plus side, the system no longer hangs.

Currious if anyone else was still having the crash problem, and if this
solution worked for them as well.

jason