Re: packages fetching tools

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, Paul Johnson wrote:
Bruce Sass <bsass@edmc.net> writes:
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, Nathaniel W. Turner wrote:
Since people keep telling us that apt-get is braindead, and that
aptitude does a better job, I tried that too, with similarly scary
results.  Since aptitude's output is more compact, I include it here.

In my experience, aptitude has its own set of problems.  Alas, nothing is
perfect.

Don't forget about dselect.  If the APT tools are not giving you enough
control then maybe dselect will, especially if you don't use the apt
method for fetching packages.

If aptitude can't do it right, dselect surely won't do the right
thing...

I never claimed it would fix things automatically; and it is easier than hacking /var/lib/dpkg/{status,available} to fix a problem.

- Bruce