how do I choose the font Qt apps use?

This is not a KDE question, but I didn't find a more aproprieate group.

I have a Debian sid system, I don't use any desktop manager (only
Ion), and only one or two Qt (not KDE) apps occasionally.

How can I change the font the Qt applications use for menus, etc?
Preferably I want to do this by editing some configuration files with
a text editor, or with debconf, etc. I don't want to install tenths of
megabytes of k.... apps and libraries, but if it is an option, I will
install, set the font, and then purge it (if only the settings will
stay).

Specifically I want the Qt apps to use Bitstream Vera Sans truetype
font for the menus and everything. Now they use some ugly font, which
I can't name. GTK2 apps use Bistream Vera Sans without problems.
wxWindows also.

--
    Miernik         _________________________  xmpp:miernik@amessage.info
___________________/__ tel: +48888299997 __/      mailto:miernik@ctnet.pl