Could not start process Can't talk to klauncher

KDE crashed on me. Now I can't start a kde session (it hangs on different steps each time). Worse, when I try to use a kde app in gnome and use the file-open dialog I get "Could not start process Can't talk to klauncher"

I've tried deleting .kde; deleting /tmp/ dirs and the dcop dirs in ~/ but to no avail. I've tried re-installing certain base kde packages. Nothing has worked and I'm getting these errors. What can I do? What should I try?

I'm using debian unstable. (I doubt it's related but since the crash firefox won't load-- well it does but it's just a grey empty window).

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com