Re: XF86Config and restarting X

On Sunday 30 May 2004 23:51, Robert Tilley wrote:
> I have edited my /etc/X11/XF86Config file to include "1280x1024" wherever
> screen sizes are mentioned.  When accessing KDE RandR or the KDE Display

Ehm.. You didn't change all of them did you? I would guess that the right way
to do this would be to add a new screen mode, and not change the existing
ones.

> control panel, the only modes available to me are 1024x768 and lower.

Did you try reconfiguring the x server with debconf?

# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

Backup your old config first! It probably won't work the first time you try to
reconfigure it.

> How can I restart X to reflect my new sizes?

Reboot?

I think a problem might be that nobody here uses the RandR extension or have
even tested it. Most people are probably happy with the screen size they
have, and are not thinking about changing it. So it is hard to answer this
kind of question if you have no experience with it.

I tried it once a while back and the desktop didn't resize after the
resolution changed, so the kicker panel was hidden outside the screen. The
only way to get it back was to reset the x session with ctrl-alt-backspace.
After that I considered KRandR/RandR to be experimental, and have not used it
since.

Anders

--
This email was generated using KMail from KDE 3.2.2 on Debian GNU/Linux