OpenOffice dialogs are enormous...

I used to run OO.o from a tarball because I had already downloaded it, and it
worked.  I couldn't see spending the hours necessary to get the Debian
packages after I switched to a real distro.

I've just recently gotten a bigger pipe, and have done a clean net install of
Sarge.  I got the latest OO.o in the process.  All the dialogs and menus are
huge.

The font sizes look probably larger than they're supposed to be by default,
but they're not overly large.  They appear to be about 14 pt.  The real
trouble is with widget layout and spacing and such.  Huge buttons, huge
dialogs.  Everything is spread out more than it would need to be in order to
contain the needed information.  Some of the dialogs are difficult to use
because their frames are fixed, but their contents are larger than what will
fit inside, so bits at the right side get cut off.

Buttons like this

+------------------------+  +------------------------+
+                        +  +                        +
+           OK           +  +         CANCEL         +
+                        +  +                        +
+------------------------+  +------------------------+

I'm thinking this looks like some kind of DPI issue where OO.o has a different
idea what my DPI is compared to everything else.  (Everything else being
mostly KDE apps, but also the GIMP.)

I can't figure out a way to try to configure my way around this from inside
OO.o, and I'm not sure what else to look at either.

I've done the same install on a different box with the same results too.
Maybe it's supposed to be that way, but I can't imagine why anyone would make
things this unwieldy on purpose.  It might be at home on a 1280x1024 screen,
if the contents of certain dialogs weren't getting cut short.

Any suggestions?  Maybe a dotfile I can tweak or something?

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/