KDE is preventing laptop disk spindown by incessant configfile-writing

    Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 16:59:21 +0300
    From: Riku Voipio <riku.voipio@iki.fi>

    On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 05:17:01AM -0400, foner-debian-kde@media.mit.edu wrote:
    > But the instant I actually log in, I get constant disk spinups,
    > again because I cannot keep KDE from -constantly- writing
    > ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals and korgacrc.  This wasn't happening
    > in the (much older) KDE in my Mandrake 8.2 installation.

    I don't know what is writing kedglobals, but you can disable korgacrc
    by removing korganizer from the taskbar and disabling alarms.

Ah ha!  Thank you---that stopped -both- files from being written.
Apparently korganizer's alarms were what was doing it.

    OTOH, is are your partitions mounted noatime? that was the single
    largest win to keep disk from spinning up for me. The other one was
    enabling laptop_mode using the script provided by the patch.

Wasn't mounted noatime; remounting it that way didn't help until I
nuked korg's alarms.  Haven't tried laptop_mode.sh yet & may not need
to; with this change (and remember that I'm running cpudyn and have
/proc/sys/vm/laptop_mdoe set to 1), my disk spun down and -stayed-
down until syslog wrote a "-- MARK --" entry; I've now added "-m 0"
to its init so that won't happen.  I may remount without noatime just
to see if random thing are reading behind my back (presumably they'd
be operating out of the cache in RAM most of the time, but I'm
curious, and I actually sometimes use atime to see if I've used a
file recently...)

Thanks again!

    dark> A bad analogy is like leaky screwdriver          |

(*snicker*)