Re: default file permissions

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 12:06:42PM -0400, Antiphon wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 2004 17:45:36 +0200, Ulrich Fürst <kde-liste@vr-web.de>
> wrote:
>
> >Silvan schrieb:
> >> This seems like what you want.  It would probably be better to use a
> >>umask of 0007 instead, so you still have *some* control.  (I should
> >>have used that in the above example, but I'm too lazy to go back and
> >>re-do it.  :)
> >
> >If I get it right 0007 would lead to denie access to anyone not beeing
> >user or in the group of the file, and giving full access to the file for
> >user and group? That would be what I want!
> >

> No. 0007 means that anyone can write to it who is not a member of your
> group and who doesn't own the file. It sounds like you want 0070 instead
> The numbers are (special-user-group-other)

Would some explain further the 4 number system? More exactly, the last
three numbers are clear, they are explained everywhere, but the first
one, refering to "special", is not explained anywhere that I know. I
will be happy to read about it. I imagine that the first digit has to
do with the "sticky bit", about which I wouldn't mind reading. It
seems that in most references that I have seen they don't talk about
it much.

Thank you all.