Links opened from KMail mistreated

Hey,

At first, I had a problem that many other people seemed to have had, too
(Konqueror asking what to do with an .html file instead of just opening
it). Some Google told me it should just be a matter of changing the
left click action in the "embedding" tab of text/html in KDEs file
associations.

Indeed, I no longer get asked what application I'd like to use, but
still Konqueror won't just open the link. It opens what seemed to be a
cached page (file:///var/tmp/kdecache-tom/krun/31909.0.) for links that
it know, and new links just tell me the page cannot be found (true,
since there's no cached version of a new link).

I'm not sure what to do about this. I've tried switching to Firefox
altogether (it's a better browser anyway; I only use Konqueror for file
management), but it gets passed the same file:/// location instead of a
proper link.

Does anyone recognize this? Or could anyone explain to me what's going
wrong? While we're at it: what's the small dialog window that appears
not long enough to be read, but says something like "opening
<location>", after you click a link in a KDE-app?

Greets,
Tom