Re: icons license

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 05:33:09PM -0400, Kenneth Dombrowski wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am developing a website for a prominent NYC non-profit, & one aspect
> of the application provides the user access to download a number of
> files of various types.  In looking around for a set of icons to
> represent these types, I came across /usr/share/icons/default.kde.
> These icons are perfect: attractive, uniform, ready-made.
>
> Ultimately, my question will be: Can I use these icons (both as-is and
> modified versions) as elements of a site I am building?  Immediately,
> however, I am having trouble determining even what license these icons
> are released under.
>
> Using apt-file I see that /usr/share/icons/default.kde is created by
> the kdelibs-data package.  /usr/share/doc/kdelibs-data/copyright
> indicates that "All programs are either under the BSD, GPL or LGPL
> licenses", but is not more specific about shared files.
>
> Thinking perhaps kdelibs-data only creates the directory and other apps
> populate it as they are installed, I tried a more granular search, but
> apt-file search /usr/share/icons/default.kde/128x128/filesystems/www.png
> doesn't return anything.  I tried browsing around webcvs.kde.org to see
> if I could find the icons in their original package, but there's just
> too much there & the structure seems quite alien to me.

default.kde is a symlink to crystalsvg directory.

dpkg -S /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/128x128/filesystems/www.png

kdelibs-data: /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/128x128/filesystems/www.png

> Therefore, I ask you:
>
> Do you know what original KDE package(s) these files came from?
> (specifically, in addition to www.png, I'd need several of those found
> in the 'mimetypes' directory)
>
> Do you know what license they are released under?

I think all of the artwork is licensed under the GPL, but you would
have to contact the authors to find out for certain what the license
is on an individual file. You can also contact the kde-artists list
at kde.org

Chris