Re: Could not contact DCOP ?

hello!

>  Every now and again, for no discernable reason, the machine will refuse to
> run any more applications, and instead choose to display a dialog box
> saying "<appname> could not contact DCOP" - from that point, the user must
> log off, and log in again, at which point all is rosy.

i've got the same behaviour which you describe on one of the boxes here.
the machine runs 24h/7days a week and the problem occurs - hmm, let's say
about all 2-3 weeks.
i didn't have the time to investigate further but i found a simple work-
around for it.

the cause of the error-message (at least in my case) is, that the temporary
directories of the user lose their access-rights (strange).

in my case, the following directories in /tmp get accessrights of 600 instead
of 700 and can't get accessed anymore:

/tmp/
drwx------    2 gurke    gurke        4096 Apr 21 01:50 kde-gurke
drwx------    2 gurke    gurke        4096 Apr 21 01:51 ksocket-gurke

so, basically i just set up a cronjob which resets the permissions every
now and then.

but if i'm not the only one with that problem, we should maybe file a bug
about? or do some of the kde-people in here know, where the problems are
coming from?

hope this helps,

Pascal

--