Re: KDE 3.2.2 for Woody... Careful upgrading..

Jesús Roncero Franco writes:

> Ok, I'd remake my question. If today's preferred method of
> installing and upgrading software in debian is apt-get, and it has
> some problems, why is this the first time I heard of it? I mean,
> from a user perspective, one that reads many debian related mailing
> lists, apt-get is the most recommended tool, not aptitude.

Then you read the wrong mailing lists.  I sometimes work on Debian KDE
bug reports, and using apt-get for major upgrades is a known, and
not-going-to-be-fixed-any-time-soon bug.

> Anyway, how do the debian kde guys make it to do it almost painless?

Well erm, making the dependency statements as simple as possible
helps, but apt-get dist-upgrade currently still fails on upgrading
from woody to testing iirc, and we have no idea how to fix it.

cheers
domi