Re: 3.1 to 3.2 observations

I've encountered that KNotes bug as well. IIRC it was in the 3.0 release. Very irritating.

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 12:35:51 +1100, jedd <jedd@progsoc.org> wrote:

 Howdi,

 I'm running unstable with very few ring-in packages, and finally did the
Big Upgrade (based on the perception that things seem to have settled down a bit now, and based on the fore-warning about -dpi and session choice ;)

 1.  Bookmarks disappeared.  Specifically my konq bookmarks
 located at ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/bookmarks.xml got overwritten
 by an empty template.  Most disconcerting.

 2.  kdm (and configuration files associated with same) still continue
 to assume everyone has 6 consoles and that X starts on vt7.  Something
 for debconf perhaps.  (F5's always seemed a far more sensible place.)

 3.  html handling seemed borked briefly, with complaints about khtml*.la
 during loading.  Once the upgrade was complete, w-konq's I had open
 in my earlier session were loading up and showing the html code, rather
 than parsing it.  Re-loading those pages continued to show the source.
 Copy-n-paste the url's into new alt-f2's and they loaded fine.  Strange.

4. kabc seems to have lost sight of my sole distribution list, but the rest of the data appears to be intact. The distlists file still exists in ../kabc/
 but isn't being respected.  Seemingly the [ ] format has changed from
 (say) [/home/jedd/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf] to [1BR9Ani8qT] ... so
 no wonder we're both confused.

 5.  The panel, specifically the taskbar component, is showing apps
 three-high rather than (previously) two-high, but I can't see where that
setting / default was changed. I've upped the font size to try to talk it
 out of this .. but it didn't help.

6. knotes decided to, for reasons I don't quite understand yet, bless me
 with an addition 20 notes - 16 called [Actions] and 4 called [Display].
 It makes for a very yellow desktop.

7. In kontact I can't work out how to un-embed the 'todo' section of korganizer .. now that to-do's are visible in their own application. I seem to recall it took me ages to work out how to get the danged things *into* korganizer eons ago
 too .. so this doesn't bode well.

 Yes, some/many of those will have been observed in the bts, and that's
 where I'm heading next.  I believe many kde / debian users track this
 list for potential problems before making a plunge into something new,
 so this is a kind of heads-up.

 One bit of [always valid] advice : backup ~/.kde/ before you upgrade.

 Having said all that, the whole process was actually quite painless.  I
 dropped out of kde & stopped kdm before doing the upgrade, which
 might help.  The two stumbling blocks were some force-overwrite
 stuff needed with three packages wanting to do something with plastik,
 and the non-KDE related problems with libxft divert's that are still
 pending (fixable by checking the debian bug against that package).

 So a very big thank you to all those involved.  If I can replace a few
 hundred meatybytes and only get hit with these problems, that's a
 pretty danged impressive feat on your behalf.

 Cheers,
 Jedd.