Re: [FAQ] Passwordless logins don't work in KDM 3.2

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 16:54, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 09:59, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> > Jeff Elkins writes:
> > > Since upgrading to KDE3.2, kdm will no longer allow autologin,
> > > giving me an authentication failure.  Is there a workaround for
> > > this?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is a known problem.  I have added the following text to
> > http://wiki.debian.net/?DebianKDE:
> >
> > ** Passwordless logins don't work in kdm.  This is a known problem
> >    with a known fix.  Replace the file /etc/pam.d/kdm-np with the one
> >    from http://www.kde-debian.org/~domi/kdm-np as an easy fix.
>
> Should passwordless logins even be allowed?

Absolutely - there are a number of scenarios where this behaviour is almost
mandatory - I have two.

Firstly, my mother's PC - she is the only person who ever used it, and can
even access it, so why can't I allow her to autologin? It's one less thing
for her to worry about.

Secondly, I maintain a machine in the university PC labs for public CD burning
of linux distros. I autologin it as guest user, and spawn the app. Now, if I
couldn't use kdm to do it, I'd have to resort to another hack, which is
potentially even worse :/

Thirdly, as kdm already does support it (excluding this minor regression,
obviously!) why remove it? It's not like it's default, or even, arguably,
easy to get working without editing files, so you can't enable it by mistake!

David