Re: KDE 3.2.1 broken - Problem SOLVED

On Saturday 06 March 2004 11:10, Michi wrote:

> I just dist-upgraded to the newest version of SID. There are some KDE3.2.1
> packages in SID now (e.g. kdelibs4 and kdebase), but they are broken. I
> still could boot KDE, but I could not start any KDE applications anymore. I
> also purge-removed the whole KDE to make sure there are no conflicts with
> the old 3.2 packages and installed only kdelibs and kdebase from unstable.
> This did not help either. Now there was not a single application in the KDE
> menu, there were no application icons in kicker and you could not even
> start a KDE application with Alt-F2. Has anyone had the same experience?

O.K., I just solved the problem. It was a long and windy road to find what is
going wrong. I started to move .kde and .kderc out of the way, but that did
not help either. I deleted .qt and .mcop and so on, but that all did not
help. Finally I created another user account and KDE worked fine with the new
account. I really did not understand that, so I moved my whole home-directory
out of the way, deleted my old account, deleted the home directory, created a
new account with the same name and the same uid and the problem remained.
Creating an account with the same name and a different uid actually helped so
I thought there might be some files somewhere that are causing the problem

find -uid 1000 -print /

quickly showed that there were some files left under

/var/tmp/kdecache-michi

deleting this directoy solved the problem. Very strange, indeed.

Take care,
Michael