Re: RE: kdm GUI

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 07:25:05AM -0500, Robert Tilley wrote:
> After I open the KControl Center->System Administration->Login Manager and
> assume administrate rights via root password, the list of available reads:
> Appearance, Font, Background, Shutdown, Users, Convienance.
>
> How can I add sessions that use different window managers?
>
> I've already done so by quitting to console, issuing an "update alternatives
> --config-window-manager", "startx", and I'm in the new window manager.
>
> There should be a method whereby I can choose a different window manager
> inside of KDE, quit KDE, and when I login again there is no KDE and I'm in
> the new window manager.  This ability existed in KDE 3.1.

I'm not completely sure what you are talking about. At one point you
seem to be talking about different WM launching from kdm. And later you
seem to be talking about changing KDE's default WM. They are two
completely different things.

For KDM you shouldn't have to adjust anything at all since kdm now
detects all (or nearly all?) WM's installed on the box and lists them
automatically.

For KDE you have to set some environment variable to use a different
WM, but I don't happen to recall what the variable is, and if its not
standards compliant WM it may not work exactly right either.

Where did this so called functionality you were mentioning existed in
3.1 happen to be? (I don't recall ever seeing it.)

Chris