kde not interfacing with cups in stable

I have done a fresh install of debian stable using cd's.  I used task-sel to
get x-windows and desktop environment.  I then used dselect to install cups.
I went into cups and set up a printer, and printing a test page works.  Then
I went into kword to do a test print from there, but things went different
than I thought they should.  When open the print dialog box, cups doesn't
show up as a print system in the bottom drop down box.  I have made it to
work by using "Print through an external program" (now configuring through
the control center) and using 'lp %in' as the custom command.  So I can print
but that seems to render most of the nice things about cups useless.

How can I get cups to show up as a print system in debian stable?

Thanks,
Orson Jones
USU Bookstore