Re: Can't Start KDE

Robert Tilley blathered on 02/22/04 15:43:
After a reboot of my machine, to ensure that kdm will start (I don't know how to start kdm from a command line), I enter my user name and password. The KDE desktop background pictures appears.

At that point, all loading of the KDE environment appears to stop. No dialog with a progress bar appears nor other widgets. Mouseclicks cause no reaction, either left, middle, or right (3-button mouse) and I don't know how to proceed. I did a three-finger salute (ctrl-alt-backspace) and had to enter twm to start a kmail session.

I do not know why this works, but it did for me.  I set gdm as the
default window manager (through dpkg-reconfigure kdm, stopped kdm
(/etc/init.d/kdm stop), started gdm (/etc/init.d/gdm start), logged in
to kde through it, logged out, reset kdm as the default window manager
(again through dpkg-reconfigure kdm), stopped gdm (/etc/init.d/gdm
stop), started kdm (/etc/init.d/kdm start) logged in and it worked.  I
really have no idea why, but it did.

Good luck,
--
Adam Edwards