Re: WP8 for Linux is toast in KDE 3.2

On February 19, 2004 05:26, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> KDE 3.2 depends on xlibs 4.3.x, which conflicts with xlibs6, which is
> required for WP8 for Linux to run.  Therefore, WP8 is toast.
>
> But we still need to run WP here.  AFAICT, the only other option is
> WP2K4L. I'll consider buying a copy, but I want to be sure first that
> it will work with KDE 3.2.  Is anyone else running this combination?
> How's it working for you?

I have WP9/WP2K4L installed but it is becoming increasingly unstable,
especially the WP component (Quattro Pro still seems ok though). I
recall reading that WP2002 for Windows runs better in Linux under new
versions of Wine (and CrossOver Office I think) than does WP2K4L.

I'm from Ottawa, where Corel is headquartered (they're about 2 km away)
and trust me, I'd recommend Corel WP2K4L if it actually was worthwhile,
but it isn't anymore. Besides that, you'd have difficulty actually
buying a copy now - http://linux.corel.com doesn't even exist anymore.

> Are there other KDE 3.2 users who are reading and writing WP
> documents? What's your solution?

KWord in fact has partial capability with respect to import and export
of WP documents. So long as your documents are text-only, it should
work reasonably well.

http://www.koffice.org/filters/1.2/index.php
http://www.koffice.org/filters/1.2/kword/wordperfect.php

KWord is supposed to start using the OpenOffice file format at some
point in the future, so it's a bit of a difficult call as to which
format to use right now :)

http://dot.kde.org/1061919133/

--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario

There is no art which one government sooner learns of another
than that of draining money from the pockets of the people.
-Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations