Re: KDE 3.2 Progress

On February 16, 2004 10:34, Robert Tilley wrote:
> I have to comment on the seemingly logical contradiction of KDE 3.2.0
> existing in the "stable" distribution while missing from the
> "unstable" or "testing" branches.
>
> I will have to give the KDE Team minus points on this one.  While we
> all greatly appreciate the improvements in KDE 3.2, having to run
> stable (with the corresponding lack of software) is an impediment.
> --
> Comments are appreciated,

I am sympathetic to your point of view but cannot entirely agree.

The main hold-up to getting 3.2 into unstable is getting 3.1.5 out of
unstable. Remember that Debian requires that its packages work on
eleven different architectures; something that (we) users of i386
sometimes overlook.

I could not wait to try out KDE 3.2 and, in my eagerness, ended up
breaking a Debian installation beyond my capacity to repair it. What
did eventually work for me was to run KDE's new tool "Konstruct" which
built a local KDE3.2 from source. Konstruct even breaks relatively
gracefully: when it finds a missing dependency, you can install the
package, type "make install" and it resumes where it left off.

I now have a choice between KDE 3.2 and 3.1.5; needless to say, I spend
nearly all my time in KDE 3.2