kopete's xmms dependency

Hi,

I am trying to understand the reasoning behind Kopete's dependency on xmms. I
know the underlying reason is the functioality of some plugin (Now Listening)
that allows IM buddies to see what you're currently listening to.

I read the threat on debian-mentors that discussed this issue
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2003/debian-mentors-200302/msg00206.html)

It concludes with a reference to an apparantly well known discussion about
[debian] bug #119517. This bug dealt with a similar problem of the pcmcia-cs
package that contained a simple X utility. For this utility to work at all, X
libraries would have to be installed.

I also read the discussion on debian-ctte where this pcmcia-cs matter was
dealt with
 (http://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2002/debian-ctte-200204/msg00012.html)

It was my impression that the issue was settled in a way that ruled out the
possibility of having a package depend on a relatively unrelated package just
because of some rather small functionality that would be better served by
having its needed dependencies mentioned in Suggested or Recommended.

And indeed, the pcmcia-cs package does not depend on xlibs. xlibs is only
included among the Suggested packages.

What then was the reason for having Kopete depend on xmms? Wouldn't it be
better to reconsider this and follow the example of pcmcia-cs?

If I weigh the pros and cons, it seems to me that the negatives of having this
dependency are greater than those of not having an out-of-the-box
functionality of a single plugin (that is disabled by deafult).

I am, predictably, only trying to begin this discussion because I don't use
xmms, but I do like to use Kopete (without the aforementioned plugin, of
course).

Robert