Re: Updating Woody X To Backports 4.2.1-14 ?

On Friday 09 January 2004 09:00 pm, Nick Boyce wrote:
> As part of my efforts to get fonts looking better on my KDE 3.1.4
> Woody system, I want to update the XFree86 4.1.0-16 that comes with
> Woody, to the XFree86 4.2.1-14 that backports.org makes available.
>
> (There are comments in the archive to the effect that anti-aliasing
> isn't properly supported by XFree86 4.1.0)
>
> With this deb source line :
>    deb http://www.backports.org/debian stable xfree86
> running "apt-get update; apt-get -s upgrade" gives me messages saying
> a number of X packages will be kept back :
> ===================< cut >===================
> glimmer:/etc/apt# apt-get -s upgrade
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages have been kept back
>   x-window-system-core xbase-clients xlibmesa3 xlibs xlibs-dev xprt
> xterm
> 22 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7  not
> upgraded.
> Inst debconf (1.2.35 www.backports.org)
> Inst lbxproxy (4.2.1-14.backports.org.1 www.backports.org)
> Inst libdps1 (4.2.1-14.backports.org.1 www.backports.org)
> Inst libxaw6 (4.2.1-14.backports.org.1 www.backports.org)
> Inst libxaw7 (4.2.1-14.backports.org.1 www.backports.org)
> Inst proxymngr (4.2.1-14.backports.org.1 www.backports.org)
> Inst twm (4.2.1-14.backports.org.1 www.backports.org)
> Inst xdm (4.2.1-14.backports.org.1 www.backports.org)
> Inst xfs (4.2.1-14.backports.org.1 www.backports.org)
> Inst xfwp (4.2.1-14.backports.org.1 www.backports.org)
> Inst xfree86-common (4.2.1-14.backports.org.1 www.backports.org)
> Inst xserver-common (4.2.1-14.backports.org.1 www.backports.org)
> Inst xnest (4.2.1-14.backports.org.1 www.backports.org)
> Inst xvfb (4.2.1-14.backports.org.1 www.backports.org)
> Inst x-window-system (4.2.1-14.backports.org.1 www.backports.org)
> Inst xutils (4.2.1-14.backports.org.1 www.backports.org)
> Inst xfonts-100dpi (4.2.1-14.backports.org.1 www.backports.org)
> Inst xfonts-75dpi (4.2.1-14.backports.org.1 www.backports.org)
> Inst xfonts-base (4.2.1-14.backports.org.1 www.backports.org)
> Inst xfonts-scalable (4.2.1-14.backports.org.1 www.backports.org)
> Inst xserver-xfree86 (4.2.1-14.backports.org.1 www.backports.org)
> Inst xspecs (4.2.1-14.backports.org.1 www.backports.org)
> ===================< cut >===================
>
> I'd be grateful for anyone's advice here, before I screw up my
> system. Am I supposed to do a dist-upgrade to resolve this ?
> Would it be better to "apt-get install" some particular meta or base
> package, instead of "upgrading" ?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Nick Boyce
> Bristol, UK

Apt-get will not install a package if it depends on a new package. I
can't say if this will bonk your system but it is telling you
additional packages are needed. Dselect does a more complete job of
satisfying depends, or you could do 'apt-get -s intall' on the held
back packages to see what is happenning there.

Be careful of mixing backports, that said, I did what you are attempting
with Adrian Bunks backports with success.
- --
Greg Madden
Debian GNU/Linux