Re: about smb:// in konqueror (ioslaves does not support file system functions)

On Saturday 10 January 2004 11:13, Anders Ellenshøj Andersen wrote:

> In the end it all boils down to security issues. Because linux doesn't let
> you mount just anything anywhere because this would be a security risk, you
> have to mess around with config files if you want to be able to mount for
> instance the smbfs in a user directory, and then you don't get the benefits
> of share browsing, since smbfs only supports mounting a share which you
> know is there.

Fuse lets you use user mounts:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/avf/

It is currently used to mount KDE IO slaves to make them available to non-KDE
programs

> A vast improvement on this in my humble oppinion would be if share browsing
> was part of smbfs. That way you could just mount smbfs during boot, and
> have it autocreate a directory when a new host becomes available, create
> subdirectories for the shares on the host, and have the contents of the
> shares automounted in these directories. This would be a real sollution.

I wonder if automount or supermount could be used to automatically mount newly
available shares.

Cheers,
Kevin