Re: Packagers: What should we recommend about KDE 2 -> 3 upgrades?

Ross Boylan writes:

> I asked about this earlier, but want to raise it a bit more
> forcefully now, because subsequent conversations have reinforced my
> belief that the upgrade path will not work smoothly because of
> changes in the interpretation of configuration files, especially
> ~/.kde, between the two versions.

This should normally not be a problem.  I have personally only seem
problems when going from newer kde versions to older, the other way
around should be fine.

It is possible thought that you lose your kdm settings, as these are
stored in a different place in kde3 than kde2.

> I would be delighted to find such precautions are not necessary, but
> I'm concerned that they are.

If you experience any problems with this, please file a bug report
about it using the command line tool reportbug(1).

> So perhaps upgrading KDE while running KDE is risky... well for
> other reasons too--you'll be uninstalling the KDE that you are
> running!

It may be the case that you experience problems when installing a new
KDE version while the old one is still running.  I'm not sure about
that, please file a bug report if you experience something like this.

cheers
domi