Re: Why Are Some Fonts So Bad ?

On Saturday 03 January 2004 9:32 pm, Nick Boyce wrote:
> I'm running KDE 3.1.4 with XFree86 4.1.0-16 on Woody, with anti-aliasing
> switched on, and although the desktop mostly looks pretty slick, there
> are still some *really* bad font renditions in some parts of some
> windows.

The lines do cause some distortion, but not as bad when Anti aliasing is
actually turned on.

Make sure your card can do the RENDER extension (xdpinfo should list it)

Also make sure you have fontconfig installed, and finally , make sure you have
anti aliasing turned on in the Kcontrol fonts dialog box.

Here's an example of what it SHOULD look like.

http://thebucket.org/echo/kate-good-looking-fonts.png

BTW, apt-get install ttf-bitstream-vera

the font I'm using there is Bitstream Vera Sans.