Multiple Desktops Not Changing

I am trying to use multiple desktops under KDE.  When I use the KDE
Control->Desktops to increase the desktops from 4 to 6 and then click on the
Apply or OK buttons, the control panel hangs.

When I right-click on the Panel and increase the desktops from 4 to 6, and the
OK button works as expected.  However, nothing changes.  I can re-right
click, etc. and the number of desktops is still four.

I suspect that X may be incorrectly configured.  Can anyone offer insight?
--
Comments are appreciated,

Bob