broken menus

I'm repeating a question that the good folks over at debian-user were not
inspired to answer -- it is in fact a kde question, so perhaps more at home
here.

I had installed Debian Woody from cd on my workstation, intending to replace
the longstanding RH there.  On a veteran thinkpad, I couldn't get Woody to
run.  But Knoppix solved the problems.  I then decided to use knoppix on the
workstation too.  Rather rashly, I quickly moved to mount the old RH /home
partition to the new Knoppix install.  This looked workable, with some
problems in kde - I assume caused by the accumulation of old kde
configurations.  In despair, I upgraded the installation, and completely
destroyed kde.

I eventually used the radical method of purging every kde and qt related file
from the system by hand in order to lose the malign influence of the old
Woody and RedHat installs, as suggested by Michael Schleif, here:

http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=gxXP.6fz.7%40gated-at.bofh.it
Mostly, it worked (nearly).  I have a running system, but I am left with a
load of screwed up menus through many applications.  Mostly these show up as
a menu heading of "No text!" or a menu containing all the items in one
section twice, usually with the other sections missing.  All the "No text!"
ones also suffer from the duplicate items poblem.

Any suggestions how to re-configure the menus?  It seems to me to be kde-wide,
rather than application-related. Mozilla, qcad, kate are unaffected, whereas
kedit, kmail, konqueror are (some examples).

TIA

--
richard