RE: X restarts after switching from vt7 to console

> > > When switching from X-Window to Console (Ctrl-Alt-F2)
> > > X-Server makes an automatic restart after a short time (5
> > > to 20 seconds) and the kdm login screen appears again on
> > > vt7.
> >
> > That happens to me with debian sid.  I have an i810 graphics
> > subsystem.  This has happened for months.

On weekend I changed to KDE 3.1.1 and there is no problem
anymore. I have now 3 X-Servers on KDM and 6 console gettys
running and can switch to each other.

> It sounds like XFree is crashing and KDM is respawing it, is there
> anything in the XFree log in /var/log?

NO, there is an entry saying "X Server has crashed" but no
reason or any other (application) entry.

ciao, Ralf Baerwaldt