Re: Konsole and Unicode

On 31.Jul 2003 - 10:10:03, Peter Clark wrote:
> 	I'm trying to enable Unicode on my system, but ran into a little trouble with
> konsole. I have a file that is UTF-8 encoded, but when I view it with 'less'
> in konsole, I see the two-character representation, rather than a single
> glyph, even with konsole's font settings set to "Unicode".

But locale says that you really have UTF-8 enabled?

> 	Also, while I'm at it, would someone kindly point me in the direction of more
> recent documentation for enabling Unicode? The Unicode HOWTO over at tldp.org
> is apparently out of date, since its advice for 'less' makes mention of
> LESSCHARSET, which others have said is depricated (but fail to mention how to
> do it now).

I can only say how I got my system into Unicode: LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 into
/etc/environment. For gdm there is a change needed in /etc/X11/gdm.conf
(I think). I don't know how it is with kdm, I start my X11 from console
with startx, so the locale from console is used. This works nearly
perfect, some older apps don't recognize unicode right.

Andreas

--
You will live a long, healthy, happy life and make bags of money.