Re: installing KDE 3

27. Jul 03

I was too optimistic.
I have some problems with Debian 3 and KDE 3, which I downloaded recently
(without doing anything about Qt3, since that seems beyond my scope and I am
not sure it is necessary)

1) I once clicked pppoeconf and since then it is not possible to remove it from
Desktop 1.  "Close" brings no reaction whatsoever

2) If I move from KDE (which is on tty7) to, let say tty3 KDe breaks down and I
get the message:

[drm:i910_flush_queue] *ERROR* lockup

repeatedly. After a while I get the logging-window.  All this seems to happen
if I am in one of the KDE applications (Konqueror, Kword, etc.) and I leave
that to move to tty3.

3) I cannot set kppp going.  I get the message: "kppp
cannot open modem".  I tried the help instruction  "# chown root:root
$KDEDIR/bin/kppp" but there is no file /bin/kppp

4) I can get online with wvdial. I tried then to set an email account in Opera.
All settings, preferences are apparently correct, I can read webpages in Opera,
but neither get or send e-mails. Preferences tell me: "POP
disconnected, SMTP disconnected". No way to change that, up to now.

	Can somebody give me a tip?

	Thanks in advance

	Raul

On 22.Jul 2003 - 15:05:37, Raul Claro wrote:
> 22 Jul 03
>
> I have recently bought a Debian  GNU/Linux 3.0 as I wish  to move from
Windows
> to Linux.  (I have not been able yet to install a working  email system,
though
> I can get online with wvdial; but now I am mailing with  windows) - my
problem
> NOW is, though, that I upgraded KDE, downloading vs 3.1 using apt-get (I  did
not, however,
> download Qt vs 3.0.2, since I do not know what that is: "For KDE 3.0, you
need
> the Qt™ library version 3.0.2 or higher. Please make sure  you download the
> correct Qt™." Is this really necessary??)
> 	My new KDE is present now in /etc/kde3 and the packages seem to be
> correctly installed. Still, I got for a while the error- message "no write
> access to /home/rch/ICEauthority; could not start ksm  server".  I corrected
> this with chmod on that file so that now I get the blue  desktop - but
without
> a panel at the bottom of the screen!  I cannot start  anything, no terminals,
> no programs, no menues...
>
> Can somebody suggest something useful?

I think you're not familiar enough to install something like kde3 from
sourcecode, so you should get a packaged version. Put this into your
/etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://download.kde.org/stable/latest/Debian woody main

And then do a apt-get update. After that you can install KDE3 with
apt-get install kdelibs4 kdebase kdenetwork kdepim kdeaddons ...

Andreas

--
Generosity and perfection are your everlasting goals.