installing KDE 3

22 Jul 03

I have recently bought a Debian  GNU/Linux 3.0 as I wish  to move from Windows
to Linux.  (I have not been able yet to install a working  email system, though
I can get online with wvdial; but now I am mailing with  windows) - my problem
NOW is, though, that I upgraded KDE, downloading vs 3.1 using apt-get (I  did not, however,
download Qt vs 3.0.2, since I do not know what that is: "For KDE 3.0, you need
the Qt™ library version 3.0.2 or higher. Please make sure  you download the
correct Qt™." Is this really necessary??)
	My new KDE is present now in /etc/kde3 and the packages seem to be
correctly installed. Still, I got for a while the error- message "no write
access to /home/rch/ICEauthority; could not start ksm  server".  I corrected
this with chmod on that file so that now I get the blue  desktop - but without
a panel at the bottom of the screen!  I cannot start  anything, no terminals,
no programs, no menues...

Can somebody suggest something useful?

Thanks in advance

Raúl