Re: true type fonts fixed...

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Ross Boylan wrote:

> Unfortunately, I have no great wisdom, just some clarifications and
> speculations below.

ditto

<...>
<big sigh>

> My characters don't appear as boxes; they are simply blank or, (I
> think) sometimes horizontal lines.  And they aren't all affected.  For
> example, in my current KDE2 environment I see what I'm typing emacs
> now; I see stuff in Mozilla; but I don't see the text of KDE help
> (though I see the table of contents).

Yikes!  If I was having that much trouble I think I'd --purge
*everything* and start with a clean slate.

[Bruce said]
> > I have had "export QT_XFT=0" in .bashrc for awhile and have been
> > starting KDE from the commandline, so I shouldn't have to worry about
> > XftConfig making a contribution. (right?)
> What is QT_XFT supposed to do?  I've never heard of it.

Not sure anymore, actually forgot about it until you mentioned
XftConfig.  iirc, it sounded like the thing to do when anti-aliasing
first arrived and I heard the v3 xservers couldn't do it... it either
fixed a Qt problem or prevented one (hell of a way to run a system, eh
:-)

> > Remember I said I managed to get ttf via xfs-xtt... well, the
> > ttf-larabie pkgs got installed but the fonts didn't appear in KDE so I
> > went into the kcm font installer to see what would happen --- now I'm
> > back to no tt fonts (tried both administrator and user mode, *.afm
> > created in same dir as the *.ttf files this time).
> >
> > So, Arial and the rest of the ms core fonts have disappeared from the
> > KDE font selectors and the only thing touched was the KDE font
> > installer (which shows the tt fonts as installed and enabled)...
>
> Two more ideas about your problem:
>
> Since it appears that KDE can only handle fonts in one directory
> hierarchy, perhaps the installation of fonts in new places (assuming
> larabie and mscore fonts are in different directories) confused it.

I don't think so.  The ms and Larabie fonts are in /usr/share/fonts
and the ms ones were served up by xfs-xtt, KDE's font installer showed
nothing (no fonts installed and therefore nothing selected).  It
wasn't until after copying the ms fonts into the X11R6 hierarchy (the
Larabie stuff was already symlinked in) and making KDE aware of the
fonts via the font installer that tt fonts disappeared again.

> Could anything be broken in the utility programs (e.g., ttmkfontdir,
> or something like that) that set up the index files?

Could be.  I did notice a message during X startup indicating a
problem with the Larabie fonts, X deleted them from the font path and
suggested running mkfontdir... which I did, which did seem to make X
happier, then I tried the KDE font installer (which had the effect of
making the ms fonts disappear)... I probably should have just
restarted xfs-xtt after doing mkfontdir (and perhaps ttmkfontdir if
xfs-xtt still didn't see them).

> > ...how do I disable KDE's font installer subsystem,
> > it appears to be broken.
>
> Don't know.  And do you want to?  I though this was the only way that
> KDE became aware of fonts.

>From this perspective it looks like KDE can fall back to whatever the
system provides, it only blows up after I run the KDE Font Installer.

- Bruce