true type fonts fixed...

...sorta.

scenario:
sid, kde-3.1.2, xserver-svga (v3.3.6), X-4.2.1, xfstt
- KDE knows about the fonts but they are not rendered
- xfontsel works as expected

Purging all the font related stuff I could without --force-depends,
then manually removing any cruft which had built up over the years
(originally a Debian 2.0 system), got KDE to the point where it knew
nothing about ttf.  Reinstalling and reconfiguring the font stuff
brought it back to where it seemed to know about ttf, but still
wouldn't render them.

scenario:
same as above except with xfs-ttf
- KDE renders ttf
- xfontsel works but thinks the majority of the ttfs are in the
  "monotype" family

The "sorta" refers to the fact that while KDE is now displaying ttf,
if I try to select fonts for Konqueror the system slows down (I'm on a
66MHz box, when I say "slow" it is really s-s-s-l-l-l-o-o-o-w-w-w :-)
or freezes (CTRL-ALT-ESC closes the font selector dialog, without the
skull and bones cursor appearing) and an additional 50M of swap gets
used (about half of the VM is released when the dialog closes).
Repeated use of the kcm khtml font module pushes the swap usage up by
about 30M per use.  Logging out of KDE recovers all the VM.

True type fonts work fine with other wm's (fluxbox, uwm, xfce) and
apps no matter which ttf server is in use --- so it appears to be a
KDE problem, or perhaps a system problem that just happens to hit KDE
hard.

Hmmm, could having ttf available through both fontconfig (via
x-ttfcidfont-config) and xfs-ttf be a problem...

HTH anyone else with font problems.

- Bruce