how to compile/use "make xconfig" in the the 2.5.x kernel configuration

The development kernel 2.5.x (I am testing 2.5.67 presently) now uses the qt
development libraries to build one of the x-interfaces to config (make
xconfig).  I cannot seem to get this to work apparently because I do not have
QTDIR exported to the correct directory.  I tried "export
QTDIR=/usr/share/qt3" as per the libqt3-mt-dev README.Debian, but this did
not work.  Does anyone know how to do this ?

--
James D. Freels, Ph.D.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory