Re: apt-get upgrade question

On Friday 11 April 2003 06:44, Penn Gwynne wrote:
> Last week I upgraded a stock woody install to KDE 3.1.1 using Ralf's debs.
> Everything went very smoothly and I am very happy with it - only one or two
> anomalies.
>
> Tonight I did an "apt-get update", "apt-get upgrade" and it said it would
> upgrade 45 packages.  I picked  "n" and then did "apt-get -s upgrade".  As
> I KDE relevant packages were targeted.
>
> An excerpt of the print out is:
>
> Inst libc6-dev (2.2.5-11.5 Debian-Security:3.0/stable) [ ]
> Inst libc6 (2.2.5-11.5 Debian-Security:3.0/stable)
> Conf libc6 (2.2.5-11.5 Debian-Security:3.0/stable)
> Inst kdelibs4 (4:3.1.1-0woody3 Official build of KDE for Debian
> stable:stable) [ ]
> Inst kdelibs-bin (4:3.1.1-0woody3 Official build of KDE for Debian
> stable:stable) [ ]
> Inst kdelibs-data (4:3.1.1-0woody3 Official build of KDE for Debian
> stable:stable)
>
> Using kdelibs as an example, the version to be installed is stated as
> 4:3.1.1-0woody3.  (what does the "4" mean?)
>
> From this I assume that the update will come from Ralf's site and that
> doing an upgrade should be ok.

The 4: means an epoch. That way you can work around version numbering issues.
In the past, KDE has not been included in Debian during the times when the Qt
licensing was an issue and some errors occurred in the versioning. Therefore,
we had to use epochs in certain packages (which now spread all over most KDE
source packages). If you install e.g. newer packages like kdeedu, you won't
see that epoch.

The version on download.kde.org is fully upgradable any time to Debian
unstable, so you shouldn't run into any problems later when the next Debian
release comes out (no guarantee though).

Ralf

> Is this a safe assumption?
>
> Thanks,
> /Pen