Re: KDE 3.1.1 Fast as root but slow as User

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 08:22:51AM +0200, Karolina Lindqvist wrote:

> The whole discussion was how much RAM is needed, and in my opinion, 128MB is
> too little. It works, but causes a lot of swapping with normal things like
> web browsing etc. The best and cheapest speed up for a 128MB system is to get
> more ram.

I am using Debian SID with KDE3.1 on a Sony Vaio Laptop with a
PIII-650 MHz and 128 MB RAM. My main applications are Konqueror,
Konsole and XEmacs and sometimes I also run mozilla and the system
runs really fine. I doubt that my system is swapping a lot.

I am pretty sure, most of the huge amount of memeory that is used by
XFree86 and kdeinit is in reality cache. Don't trust top.

Take care,
Michael