Re: KDE 3.1.1 Fast as root but slow as User

onsdagen den 9 april 2003 00.32 skrev kosh:

> X memory usage is evil black magic to figure out.
> It also includes AGP mapped memory, pixmaps and stuff that programs have
> open get charged to X and damned if I know how much other stuff it has. At
> one point I had X showing it was using 1G of ram on a system with 256MB
> with no swap usage at all. The card had 64MB and I had left the bios at
> default for AGP size.

I have 4MB on my graphics card, which means that if X is charged with that, it
won't matter very much. But I have found that starting some graphical
applications causes X memory to grow A LOT.

The normal web browsers appears to be pretty bad, when it comes to memory.
Just starting netscape/mozilla, will eat 75MB of RAM. Each instance of
konqueror takes around 10MB extra. They also causes X to allocate more
memory, which it does not give back. So it might be that X has memory leaks,
after all.

The whole discussion was how much RAM is needed, and in my opinion, 128MB is
too little. It works, but causes a lot of swapping with normal things like
web browsing etc. The best and cheapest speed up for a 128MB system is to get
more RAM.

Karolina