Re: KDE 3.1.1 Fast as root but slow as User

tisdagen den 8 april 2003 05.39 skrev Terry Milnes:
> I have 128MB of RAM and it seems to always be completely used up when I am
> logged in as user. I know that this could be causing my slowdown, but what
> else can be causing it? Secondly, how do I speed things up without
> installing more RAM?

KDE 3.1.x is a complete memory hog. An interesting exersize is to run a RAM
display program like gmemusage. Right now, I have:

linux 28MB
xfree86 115MB
kdeinit 135MB
the rest of my memory are divided in smaller chunks.

xfree86 115MB!!!!!
What is the X server doing with all that RAM?
Not, it is not a memory leak. I quitted xsane, and gqview, and it went down to
*only* 53MB.
There is no chance in that is going to run on a 128MB system.

kpackage is practically unusable on a small system. It grabs over 100MB of RAM
when I run it, making my get down on its knees.

So, the recommendation: Get more RAM!

The alternative is to run KDE like windows. Start only one application at the
time, and expect it to run out of memory.

Karolina