KDE 3.1.1 on Woody - it's effects on other installs...

I am fairly (re)new to Debian.  I had Potato in its early days, but played
with Gentoo then Redhat 8 to get a feel for other distros.

Ultimately I reinstalled Debian a couple of weeks ago from the 3.0r1 CDs and
of course got KDE 2.2.  I want to use KDE specifically, but KMail from KDE
2.2 would not work with my ISP which requires a password for SMTP.

After scanning a couple of threads in debian-user I got brave and went to
www.kde.org where I added "deb http://download.kde.org/stable/3.1.1/Debian
stable main" to my sources.list.  Took me a bit to figure out how to actually
get KDE 3.1.1.  (Didn't realize it was "apt-get install kdm" and not "apt-get
upgrade".)  So now I have KDE 3.1.1 and love it and this mail is being typed
by KMail.

I see problems though.  I tried to install koffice and get errors.  Here is an
extract of the terminal spew.

  koffice: Depends: koffice-libs but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: kchart but it is not going to be installed

Later I tried to install xmmsarts and got the same sort of thing:

  xmmsarts: Depends: libarts-alsa (>= 4:2.2.2-1) but it is not going to be
  installed or libarts (>= 4:2.2.2-1)

I assume all of this is because my system is now in sort of a "split" mode;
stock Woody except for KDE.

Any advice on how to resolve this?  Do I need to upgrade to Sarge or (ugh)
Sid?  Or is it primarily my newness to apt-get and how to force an install of
a particular version of a package.

Thanks,
/Pen