Re: Using arts and alsa (direct) simultaneously?

On 30.Mär 2003 - 20:30:05, Olaf Stetzer wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 30. März 2003 19:50 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
>

> > Don't know if there is such a solution. Arts is a so called
> > Sound-Server, wich mixes different sound streams into one that is send
> > to the dsp-Device. This can be created via ALSA, which only is a driver
> > package for various sound cards.
> >
> > A solution for the problem could be artsdsp, which should be installed
> > together with arts. It makes the program run with artsdsp think that it
> > has access to /dev/dsp, but really it sends the sound to arts. AFAIK it
> > works with most programs.
>
> Thanks for the hint. I just tried it but it does not work. The program is
> muse, a midi/audio sequencer and needs direct access to all sound devices
> (e.g. /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p).

Then there is only one last possibility: Change the settings of arts, so
that it unloads itself after x seconds of no usage and make x as small
as possible. This can be done using the KDE Control Center or via
commandline when starting artsd.

If that doesn't work for you you'll have 2 more options, which are not
that good: 1. Disable arts as long as you need muse
2. Use another program instead of muse.

Oh I see it is QT-Based, then it shouldn't be to difficult to implement
an interface to arts, but that has to be done by a real programmer.

Andreas

--
Everything that you know is wrong, but you can be straightened out.