Re: KDE woody debs on CD ?

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 01:29:17PM +0100, Ralf Nolden scrawled:
> On Wednesday 19 March 2003 13:21, Daniel Stone wrote:
>
> ioport needs to be removed from the xbase-clients.files file or it's
> conflicting with xserver-xfree86 *grmbl* That's what you get when merging ds2
> with ds3v1 :-}

Heh. :)

I've fixed xf86cfg/xf86config locally, but I can't truthfully say I'm
expecting ds3v2/ds4 before next week.

> > On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 10:06:09AM +0100, Ralf Nolden scrawled:
> > Hi Ralf!
> > I'd just like to say that that's an excellent idea. I personally
> > wouldn't get it (I run sid at home, and work uses sarge, with a fair few
> > backports), but I think it's a great idea, especially if KDE e.V. is
> > involved.
>
> Well, as others already pointed out the problem is that it gets soon obsolete
> before you send it off to the one buying it. maybe downloadable ISOs would
> help ?  I mean, in the end it's all for free anyway - it points to the
> growing software problem that everyone takes everything for free. Doing work
> for debian and kde for free is not the problem but the problem is how do I
> buy bread and butter ? :-)  Most importantly how do we offer people a service
> through KDE e.V. that could help the e.V. do its work better ?

Well, it depends who you're selling to. Does $averageuser know, or care,
that they're a point release behind?

As for how to feed yourself, that depends. If you can find someone who
will pay you to work on free software, that's really cool.

I think getting KDE eV some more cash is an excellent idea, but with so
many developers, who do you sponsor? It's a tough question.

> As commercial distros get less and their money shrinks so will their support
> for KDE in terms of employing people fulltime like Waldo. So I'm trying to
> find a way that will possibly lead us to the situation where the KDE project
> can finance itself better and maybe in a the future being able to employ
> developers.

Maybe the task now is to convince large companies (non-distributors)
that they need KDE, and that employing someone to work on KDE will help
them significantly.

Speaking for myself, and myself only,
Daniel

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone@trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne