kdm crashing

Hi,

I have two up-to-date sid boxes with kde on them.  Only one of them is
giving me this problem.  When I logout of my kde session, the screen
goes black, X doesn't try to restart, and it dumps me to the console.
Kdm is still running however, so I have to restart it everytime I log
out.

The two computers *should* have the same config, I've diffed /etc/kde3/
and the configs are the same(meaning, I haven't changed them.  I can't
remember how this problem started, but it was sometime last week.

I guess my questions are:

For people in a hurry: How do I turn on more debugging info so I can
look into this more?  I'm not getting(well, finding) any related
messages in /var/log.

For the omnicient:  What the heck is going on?

thanks,

Justin