Re: Is kscd usable? (kdemultimedia 3.1 on ppc)

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:32:46 -0600
Chris Cheney <ccheney@cheney.cx> wrote:

> It's a shame that they went the cheap route and got rid of the cable,
> you are probably losing several percent of your cpu power now just to
> play an audio cd that would regularly require none.  As I understand it
> you can play audio cds via ripping if you run noatun and use the
> audiocd:/ ioslave.

The counter argument is that by using the analogue cable from the drive to
the sound card you add an extra D->A and A->D conversion. Furthermore the
D->A on most PC (or Mac) CD drives isn't of the highest quality and you
are moving the signal in analogue form in an extremely hostile environment
via what isn't generally be best-shielded cable in the business.

James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james@tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering