Re: kmail: compact local folder

On Wednesday 12 March 2003 06:08 am, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> Am Die, 2003-03-11 um 18.55 schrieb Ralf Nolden:
> >
> > On Dienstag, 11. März 2003 17:00, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > my ~/Mail/inbox file has several hundred MB even if there are only a
> > > few undeleted emails in.
> > > How can I compact that file?
> >
> > using the right mouse button in the treeview pane in kmail over the inbox
> > folder  and select compress ?
>
> Unfortunately there is no 'compress' just 'compact'.
> And referring to the KMail documentation, this is just to purge deleted
> mails from an IMAP server.
> http://docs.kde.org/en/3.1/kdenetwork/kmail/setting-up-your-account.html

It is also for the older-style 'mbox' type local accounts.  And this indeed is
what you are running into.  It has all of your old emails, not deleted, just
marked so in the index file.  If manually running compact on the folder does
not drastically reduce the size of the mbox file, then you have been hit by a
(since-fixed) kmail bug.  Close KMail, locate your kmailrc (in
.kde/share/config) and find the line that says 'Compactable=[no|false] and
change it to 'true'.  Then restart kmail and right-click compact again.  It
should now be much smaller.

HTH.

--
MuMlutlitithtrhreeaadededd s siigngnatatuurere
D.A.Bishop