Yet another TT fonts problem on Debian sid

I saw a few msgs about problems with TT fonts go by recently, but none of them
seemed to solve my problem.

All my True Type fonts seemed to get hosed after an "apt-get upgrade" a few
days ago (not sure what was changed - looks like maybe the fontconfig pckg).

After tweaking with the /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and local.conf files, I was able
to restore most of them (particularly Helvetica and Fixed[Sony], which I rely
on heavily).

But all of my True Type fonts are still screwed up.  (See
http://home.nyc.rr.com/darsys/fontprobs/FontBad.png for an example of the
broken Arial font; http://home.nyc.rr.com/darsys/fontprobs/FontGood.png for
an example of the working Helvetica font.)

My fonts.conf file includes: <dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir> which looks correct
to me, since my TT fonts are located in /usr/share/fonts/truetype.  But TT
fonts like Arial are still displaying as jagged.  It was all working fine (I
think) up until recently (although I haven't tried Arial or other TT's in a
little while), but then got hosed with some update.

It seems like X and KDE both are aware of the Arial font, but somehow are not

BTW, my KDE is set to not display fonts as anti-aliased across the board (and
I'd like to keep it that way).

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

DR