Re: How Do I Burn CDs?

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 12:13:09AM +0000, Paul Cupis wrote:

> On Monday 03 Mar 2003 23:34, David Bishop wrote:
> > On Monday 03 March 2003 04:13 pm, Jean-Michel Kelbert wrote:
> [re: k3b]
> > > I wanted to package it for unstable, but I have made a first
> > > package. But I don't think that k3b rules. The wizard sucks ! It
> > > made change on devices and program permission. I think this is a
> > > bad idea. k3b also
> >
> > Well, broken permissions are the #1 problem people have with cd
> > burning on linux, bar none.  Relying upon distributions to make this
> > easy/simple/actually work has not been successful in the past, so the
> > app authors end up working around this.  k3b is *not* the only cd
> > burning prog to do this, iirc, cdbakeoven does the same thing.
>
> It does, and it can be a right pain.
>
> Debian systems do have infrastructure for CD-Burning facilities to have
> the correct permissions already setup (via the cdrom group), so I am
> going to try and get cdbakeoven upstream to either allow the setuptool
> to be seeded with answers or bypassed, at least for Debian systems.

At least with k3b, there is a way to simply not have the wizard change
anything.  I only used cdbakeoven long enough to figure out that it does
not have my killer feature*, so I'll just take your word for it not
having the same thing :-)

D.A.Bishop

*for those who are interested, (all 2 of you), my killer feature is
being able to drag a directory into the 'project', find that it is 900+
megs, and then selectively delete subdirs and individual files until it
fits.  k3b allows this, gcombust and cdbakeoven don't, dunno about
xcdroast.  There, now you know more than you ever wanted to about my cd
burning habits...