QT Version Problem

When attempting to compile cdbakeoven, the following occured:

  <snip>
  checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.1 (20021021)) (headers and
  libraries) not found. Please check your installation!
  <snip>

This same error occurs with most software for KDE 3.1 that I try to compile.
I have installed KDE 3.1 on my Debian unstable box and am clueless as to why
this occurs.  If I have KDE 3.1, don't I automatically require and therefore
have QT 3.1?
--
Comments are most appreciated,

Bob